Rheinmetall Canada and Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) subsidiary ELTA Systems (IAI/ELTA) have joined forces to propose the state-of-the-art, operationally proven MF-STAR radar for the Canadian Surface Combatant (CSC) programme. Like this team’s success in bringing the battle-proven Medium Range Radar (MRR) of «Iron Dome» fame to the Canadian Army, ELM-2248 MF-STAR will provide the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) with a built-in-Canada, cutting-edge, fully digital, multifunctional Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) naval radar for long-range air and surface surveillance and tracking. The MF-STAR radar is based on the same radar technology as the MRR currently in production at Rheinmetall Canada’s plant in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Québec.
The MF-STAR antenna includes four fixed faces of active arrays in S-band frequency, delivering a high-quality air and surface situation picture and weapon support – particularly in severely cluttered target, electronic, topographical and environmental conditions. With advanced technology and robust system architecture, the MF-STAR employs unique, proven multi-beam and pulse doppler techniques to extract low Radar Cross-Section (RCS) targets from complex clutter and jamming environments.
Moreover, the MF-STAR radar can be easily scaled to fit different requirements and different ship sizes – from 1200-tonne corvettes to frigate/destroyers weighing 7000+ tons. The radar is already in service with two navies in missions similar to those proposed for the CSC.
Importantly, the MF-STAR’s 360-degree coverage and fully multifunction operation minimizes the installation requirements to a single system, thus reducing the upper deck «footprint». MF-STAR’s in-service record and the ongoing delivery of the MRR means reduced operational, technological and programme risk – from contract award to delivery and beyond from an established Canadian company which has recently concluded over $1 billion in Industrial and Technological Benefit (ITB) transactions with Canada.
«We are honoured to extend our teaming with Rheinmetall Canada to include the state-of-the-art MF-STAR radar», declared Mr. Nissim Hadas, IAI Executive VP & ELTA President. «MF-STAR radar is already operational and provides excellent value to our customers».
«This partnership with IAI/ELTA Systems is of strategic importance to Rheinmetall Canada», stated Rheinmetall Canada’s President and CEO, Dr. Andreas Knackstedt. «Our successful teaming with IAI/ELTA on the MRR programme positions Rheinmetall as a leading Canadian radar company. We are building on this experience to offer the MF-STAR radar for the CSC programme and firmly establish Rheinmetall Canada as the in-country radar provider and supporter to DND and the Canadian Forces».
«Furthermore», added Dr. Knackstedt, «we know that it’s not only necessary to provide the best product at the best price to the Canadian government, but to bring value to the Canadian economy. We did this with MRR and achieved 80% identified offsets at bid response. This expertise is essential to any prime contractor and we have the right know-how».
- Fast threat alert response time;
- Very high tracking update rate and accuracy for priority targets;
- Short search frame/ Track While Scan (TWS) revisit time;
- Mid-course guidance of active/semi-active anti-air missiles;
- Illuminator enslavement for semi-active missiles;
- Automatic splash detection and measurement for gunnery support;
- Instantaneous multi-beam;
- Advanced beam forming techniques for Electronic Counter-CounterMeasures (ECCM);
- Lightweight antenna;
- Scalable, modular active solid-state phased array;
- High reliability and high availability.
- Blue water and littoral warfare support;
- Simultaneous multi-engagement support;
- Active and semi active missile support;
- 3D long-range air surveillance;
- 3D medium range automatic threat alert;
- Missile horizon search and threat alert;
- Maritime surface surveillance;
- Target classification (including Helo);
- Gunnery control and splash spotting.
Performances and Parameters
|Automatic track initiation|
|Low flying attacking missile||> 25 km/15.5 miles|
|High flying fighter aircraft||> 120 km/74.5 miles|
|Rx/Tx||S-Band solid state|
|Antenna||4 static arrays|
|Elevation||-20° – +85°|
|Weight||1,500 kg/3,307 lbs per face|
|900 kg/1,984 lbs below deck|