Oshkosh Defense, LLC, an Oshkosh Corporation company, introduced its MRAP (Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected) All-Terrain Vehicle (M-ATV) Extended Wheel Base Medical (EXM) variant at the International Defense Exhibition and Conference (IDEX) 2015, taking place February 22-26 in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. Oshkosh designed the M-ATV EXM to provide off-road mobility and MRAP-level protection to military medics on ambulatory missions in high-threat environments.
«There is no mission more important than keeping troops safe, including the medics and their patients on the battlefield», said U.S. Army Major General (Retired) John Urias, executive vice president of Oshkosh Corporation and president of Oshkosh Defense. «An increasing number of troops and medics are suffering injuries – often life threatening – while trying to deliver care and evacuate the injured in commercial-based ambulances. The Oshkosh M-ATV EXM combines best-in-class off-road mobility with a life-saving crew protection system for urgent medical care in landscapes that are too rugged for other ambulances».
The Oshkosh Defense M-ATV EXM provides urgent evacuation capabilities while shielding patients and medics from enemy fire. The M-ATV’s lightweight ramp and unique «easy glide» system can load two litter-bound patients – on any NATO-standard litter – in less than two minutes. The tactical ambulance has enough interior capacity to simultaneously transport two litter-bound patients, two ambulatory patients, a medic, commander and driver. The M-ATV EXM’s customizable internal configuration also enables equipment to be accessed quickly by a centrally positioned medic. The vehicle supports standard MRAP Medical Equipment Sets (MES) and requirements such as a universal mounting system, secured storage units, and Pouch Attachment Ladder System (PALS) mounted storage bags.
The M-ATV EXM is a variant of the Oshkosh Defense M-ATV Family of Vehicles, which includes two multi-mission models – the M-ATV Standard and M-ATV Extended. The M-ATV Standard model provides response and support capabilities for a range of offensive and defensive missions in off-road environments, and the M-ATV Extended model delivers increased capacity for additional troops and equipment to support multiple mission profiles. M-ATV EXM delivers gold-standard off-road mobility and optimal protection against Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) and other battlefield threats. Oshkosh’s proprietary TAK-4 independent suspension system provides superior ride quality, including a smoother drive in rough terrain to enable better patient care and preserve the longevity of medical equipment. The M-ATV’s crew protection system is designed for today’s most prevalent threats and can be customized to deliver the highest standards of MRAP-level protection. Furthermore, the M-ATV EXM’s silhouette is the same as the other M-ATV Extended Wheel Base variants, which prevents it from standing out as an obvious target in theater.
Oshkosh M-ATV EXM
Purpose-built military ambulance with complete access to patients and medical equipment.
Fully customizable design for medical equipment.
MRAP-level protection and unmatched mobility for medical evacuation operations.
- Fully protected, single compartment crew capsule
- Integrated blast protection
- TAK-4 independent suspension system
- Accommodates two crew members, one medic, two ambulatory patients and two litter-bound patients
- Centrally positioned medic with easy access to patients and medical equipment
- Vinyl floor covering in medic area is easy to clean and sanitize
- Customizable work area supports standard MRAP Medical Equipment Sets (MES) with a universal mounting system
- Dual-rear hatches with mechanical spring assist reduces opening size and minimizes load and close procedures
- Loading ramp with forward locking mechanism glides and secures any NATO-standard litter into position
- Complete all load, secure and close procedures for both litters in less than two minutes
- Similar silhouette to other M-ATV Extended Wheelbase variants reduces the risk of medic crews becoming targets
- Underbody Improvement Kit (UIK) integrated into EXM design
- Optional Oshkosh-provided Gunner Protection Kit (GPK)
Engine: Caterpillar C7, 7.2 L, 276 kW, 1254-N-m
Transmission: Allison 3500 SP/6-speed automatic
Transfer Case: 2-speed, full time 4-wheel drive with locking differential
Axles/Suspension: Oshkosh TAK-4 independent suspension system
Seating Capacity: 7 soldiers (5 seated troops and 2 litter-bound patients)
Vehicle Curb Weight: 16,500 kg/36,300 lbs
Payload Capacity: 2,000 kg/4,400 lbs
OGPK (Objective Gunners Protective Kit) Turret-Ready: Turret ring and gunner sling with 360° rotation
Suspension (Durability) Profile: 70% off-road/30% on-road
CTIS (Central Tire Inflation System): 2 channel system • 4 terrain settings with integrated driveline lock-up control