Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) and India’s Alpha Design Technologies have signed a teaming agreement for the production and marketing of mini-Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) in India. The IAI-Alpha cooperation includes IAI’s Bird-Eye 400 and Bird-Eye 650 mini UAS as well as other mini-Unmanned Aerial Systems, to accommodate the operational needs of Indian customers.
Production of the systems will take place in India, while the marketing will be a joint effort of the two companies. Integration of additional applications and subsystems will be performed by Alpha in India with IAI’s support. Potential customers in India include security agencies and all defense organizations including police forces, coastguard and Border Security Forces (BSF).
Shaul Shahar, IAI VP and General Manager of the Military Aircraft Group said: «IAI’s teaming agreement with Alpha follows India’s policy for «Buy and make India». Our unique mini-UAS have proved exceptional operational capabilities. IAI’s knowledge in producing the world’s most advanced and innovative Unmanned Aerial Systems, with Alpha’s know-how and access to users will create a strong, fruitful partnership for the benefit of India’s defense and security organizations».
Col. H. S. Shankar, Chairman & Managing Director, Alpha Design Technologies Private Limited, Bangalore said: «The important vision of «Make in India» is being made fully effective by this joint effort. Alpha will meet the huge market in India and will examine further, later exports by Alpha, through IAI to various countries».
Bird Eye 400
The Bird Eye 400 is an advanced, affordable Mini UAV System providing real-time day/night imagery data for urban operation and «over the hill» intelligence. The Bird-Eye 400 offers a high-level of operational flexibility with latest generation Bird Eye 400 autonomous flight and mission capabilities.
- Damage assessment
- Urban operation
- Safe, reliable and easy operation
- Man-portable system with fast field deployment by 2 crewmen
- «Under belly» camera for optimal coverage, stabilized picture with high-resolution imagery
- Bungee launch and optimized recovery concept
- Fully automated flight including Takeoff and Landing
- Electrical propulsion for minimal audio signature
- Low lifecycle cost
Maximum takeoff weight: 5.8 kg/12.76 lbs
Payload: Color TV/IR
Maximum payload weight: 1.2 kg/2.64 lbs
Engine: Electrical Propulsion
Wingspan: 2.2 m/7.21 feet
Operational altitude: 500-1500 feet/152-457 m AGL (Above Ground Level)
Endurance: up to 90 min
Mission radius: 20 km/6.25 miles
Maximum speed: 60 KTAS/69 mph/111 km/h
Advanced, affordable mini UAS, providing real time day/night imagery data for urban operation and over-the-hill intelligence. A high level of operational flexibility with the latest generation of autonomous flight and mission capabilities.
Main Features and Capabilities
- 12-hour system operation, carried in three backpacks, operation by two persons
- Wide coverage, stabilized day/night payload and moving target tracker
- Fully automated and autonomous flight
- Extremely low-visual and noise signature (electrical propulsion)
- Unique survivability and safety fail safe recovery system, flip-over concept, parachute descent
- Ruggedized portable GCS (Ground Control Station)
- ISTAR (Intelligence, Surveillance, Target Acquisition and Reconnaissance)
- Urban Operation
- Law Enforcement
- Patrol and Convoys Escort
Mission Radius: up to 50 km/31 miles
Endurance: up to 5 h
Operational Altitude AGL: up to 1,500 feet/457 m
Loiter Speed: 40 KTAS/46 mph/74 km/h
Maximum Speed: 65 KTAS/75 mph/120 km/h
Maximum Take Off Weight (MTOW): 11 kg/24 lbs
Maximum payload weight: 1.2 kg/2.6 lbs
Wingspan: 3 m/9.84 feet
The Bird-Eye 400 system is an optimal solution for low echelon forces to obtain real time intelligence, independent of higher echelon sources